Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Ciao Bella

Buongiorno my loves!

Sorry this took me quite a bit to post, but I was waiting for pictures from my parents to add because they had really high quality shots I wanted to share. Well y'all, they never sent them to me so you're just gonna have to deal with my iPhone pictures for now.

As stated in my last post, Michelle and I pretty much headed from the concert back home for a very quick turnaround and headed to the airport for our adventure to Positano to meet up with my family. We started off our journey with a glass of prosecco to celebrate us making our flight (as many people did not think we would, including ourselves.)

 My mom is traveling all over Italy for 5 weeks and there are various visitors interspersed along the way. For this particular trip, we were able to spend time with my dad,  my aunt Tiny, Uncle Ron, Christian and Alexi. 

We arrived in Naples around noon and met up with my dad at the airport. My mom had arranged for a car to pick us up and take us to the villa in Positano which was about an hour away. Our driver was a cute, young Italian guy who Michelle and I were loving the whole time. He stopped along the way for us to take some shots of the coast, because it is breathtaking and never gets old.




My mom and crew met us and gave us the grand tour. This place was GORGEOUS. Words cannot describe and pictures just do not do it justice. It was 4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, a kitchen, a large living room and multiple patios overlooking the water. It's like something off a postcard.




We then had lunch out on the main patio and caught up. We switched into shorts the moment we got there because the Italian sunshine was quite an adjustment from Irish weather. We then took the funicular down to the beach and explored a bit. It was apparently a private hotel beach with a restaurant right on the water. That night we just hung out, drank some wine and enjoyed another delicious meal courtesy of my Aunt Tiny.





The next day we headed into the actual town of Positano to do some shopping. There are tons and tons of shops that sell everything from ceramics, to clothing and scarves to jewelry and lemoncello. We spent probably around 7 hours down there and I could have stayed even longer. The only downside was a bit of a downpour, but we spent it in a covered rooftop bar and restaurant drinking wine and eating some delicious gnocchi. Turning frowns upside down like champs.






Tuesday, Michelle and I had a beach day. We paid a fee (which was highway robbery in my opinion, but we're on holiday so we had to suck it up and give in) and were able to spend the day on the hotel deck. We got our tan on, went for a swim and then ended the day with a delicious meal on the water and a perfectly chilled bottle of wine.


Wednesday, we headed out to Ravello and Amalfi. We did a bit of shopping in Ravello and took in the sights because it's very very high up. The roads on the coast are INSANE. Like actually insane, I give my Uncle Ron mad props for handling our party bus like a pro on the crazy windy, vespa filled, maniac covered streets. There were plenty of times that we were all squished, sweaty and silent (how's that for alliteration? ;) ) holding our breath to make sure we didn't fall off the side haha.

We had a delicious lunch at the Hotel Santa Caterina after a recommendation from a friend of my dad's The place is a 5 star hotel and it shows. The views, food and staff were amazing. We then headed into Amalfi and did some more... can you guess... shopping. We walked through the streets, picked up some gifts and various other cool items before grabbing some gelato and heading back to the villa.



Thursday, we were a bit undecided as to what we wanted to do. After listening to my dad try and convince us to rent a boat for the past 4 days, we finally all gave in because it was just too hot to do anything else. We rented a little dingy and took it out and explored some coves, had some lunch, and went swimming. The water was perfect. Because we are the Hoffmann family, it would be impossible for us to go on a boating adventure without anchor troubles. As were getting ready to go, we realize the anchor is lodged very tightly between two gigantic rocks. After about 30 minutes of Alexi and my dad trying to get it and a helping hand from a friendly guy from Michigan, we dropped the rope and headed back to base.




Well they sent out a moron to try and help us. As my dad fought to stay captain of our ship for 15 minutes as we headed back out to the anchor, he finally gave in and handed over the helm. Well your man pulled this way and that way, almost ran over my dad and the rope snapped and the situation was then worse than before. He said nothing, we headed back, he dropped us off in silence and that was that. The people at the rental company were very kind about it and told us not to worry one bit so all in all, it worked out.


Michelle and I also got some handmade sandals from this shop run by a mother and son. They could not have been nicer and we were so excited. We got to pick the style we wanted, colors, etc. It was an awesome experience.

 

Friday was my favorite day of the entire trip. We woke up early, got some pastries and headed down to the boats again where we had chartered a boat to take us to Capri. My cousin Christian (age 16) was getting hit on by one of the girls who worked at the boating company. His day started off pretty swell as he walked away with her number, Facebook name as well as Skype name. Way to go, Kiddo.

 The boat was gorgeous and our captain was the MAN. Our first stop was Capri and Anacapri. This place had the world's coolest taxis. They were like long vans with canvas over top. It was a convertible without the sun beating down on you. In my opinion that, the ride up the mountain and the breeze were my favorite part of Capri. We did a bit of shopping, grabbed a beer and headed back to our boat.



The next stop was the famous Blue Grotto. You get into these small boats and these guys row you into this cavern. In order to enter the cavern, you have to lay down in the boat as the man launches you inside. When you enter, the sunlight shines in and the water is such a beautiful blue that it illuminates the place as all the rowers sing and tell stories in Italian. Although it's cool, it actually has a bit of an eerie feel to it as well. It was a little different than I anticipated, but it was still an awesome sight.

 



After that, Franco (our Captain) took us to the Green Grotto. We got to swim in caves, stand on rocks and actually see some fish. I wasn't crazy about that last part so I didn't look until the very end, The water was CRYSTAL clear. I don't think I have ever seen water that was more beautiful, and it was also the first time I got to explore a cave while swimming. We popped some bottles of wine and prosecco and celebrated our perfect sunny day.

Franco then took us to a restaurant on the other side of Capri where we had some lunch, a good chit chat and of course some wine. My dad and aunt had wine with peaches soaked in it; very similar to a sangria but with only peaches. Pops then poured the remainder into a water bottle for us to bring with us. 


On our way back to port, we encountered quite a rain storm. While we got soaked, it was quite the adventure. It felt a bit like Gilligan's Island and I just kept singing "A THREE HOUR TOOOOOOUR" at the top of my lungs. Franco, being the super boater that he is, led us into a cave where we took shelter until the rest of the storm passed. It was awesome to watch the squall line roll in and then be all up in it for a bit.


It was an AWESOME day. Although the trip was fantastic, this day was everything I had ever pictured when I dreamed of visiting the Amalfi coast and I was so glad I got to spend it with people who I love so dearly.


Saturday morning, we packed up and headed to the airport. My dad, Michelle and I parted ways with everyone once again and Ciro (our driver from the first day) took us back to the airport and sent us off with well wishes after a perfect trip in Italy.

Our trip was filled with laughter, love, wine, sunshine, manipulating people to get what we wanted (I'm lookin' at you Tiny ;) ) and tons of memories I'll love and cherish forever.

 

 

Tomorrow, I'm actually heading BACK to Italy to visit my mom and brother again but in Tuscany this time. My Aunt Siena, Uncle Randy, Ryan, Matt and Bradley are there as well and I cannot wait for some more sunshine and family time. It'll be wonderful especially since my Shelly headed back to the U.S! I could use some fam lovin',

Until next time, Ciao!

Love, 
Paige xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blast from the Past