Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pubs, Museums and Buskers

Well my friends, as September comes to a close, I can't help but wonder how the hell I've been in Ireland for 5 months already! I'm almost half way through my stay and there's so many things I still need to do and see! We're trying to see as much as we can while the weather holds strong, because yes, the weather in Dublin is still lovely- shocking I know.

Because the weather has been nice, Eddie and I decided to make our own pub crawl a few weeks ago. There are so many adorable pubs of all different vibes and sizes that are waiting to be discovered. Our new favorite is a place called Pygmalion that we accidentally stumbled upon while trying to cut through a shopping mall. It's incredibly hipster, but their large outdoor seating area with comfy arm chairs as well as the ability to borrow board games makes it one of the many hidden gems that Dublin has to offer. We also rediscovered the deliciousness that is GBK (Gourmet Burger Kitchen). It's a chain that I used to frequent in London as it was right around the corner from my apartment. Now I know that Ireland has them, well you can just guarantee that won't be the last time we scarf down a glorious burger there!

chowin down on some GBK


What's that saying? "All fun and no play.. IS LAMEO." Alright, that was my own interpretation, but I'm stickin to it! That being said, we've had a number of fun nights on the town the last few Saturdays. With another visit from a friend of Court's from Limerick and a night out with Eddie's friends- it's safe to say we've been having a ton of fun.

  
Ed (from UL) and Court

 

 

Cousin lovin'
While waiting in line for just about forever at the immigration office, Courtney befriended a New Zealander. She's getting her masters at Trinity College and has a very similar sense of humor to us so obviously we all clicked right away. Talya, Court and I decided to head to the Irish Museum of Modern Art because we had heard nothing but good things. After navigating what seemed to be an impossible journey, we finally found it. It's GORGEOUS. The museum is set up in the old Royal Hospital in Kilmainham. It's named the finest 17th century building in Ireland, so there ya have it, folks.


 











After posing with a soldier and setting off alarms, which quickly prompted a verbal slap on the wrist from security, we ventured into the world of Irish Modern Art. I have been to the MoMA in New York, and I've come to find that no matter where in the world you are, modern art is just as quirky, weird and interesting.

We topped off our afternoon with a snack in the courtyard at Cafe IMMA and then started our trek home, which seemingly was far more simple the second time around.

One of my favorite parts about Dublin is the passion for music. My commute to work involves a walk down Grafton Street, which is home to many famous street performers or "buskers." In the last 5 months, I've come to recognize many of them- for example, the spoon man, the pigeon keeper, the human statues and various musicians; one of my favorites being the band Keywest who are actually fairly well known here in Ireland.

That being said, on our way back home from the museum, Courtney and I heard one of the buskers from fairly far down the street and immediately started to swoon without even seeing him. His voice was nothing short of perfect and he had incredible control as he covered modern day hits like "Young & Beautiful," "Pursuit of Happiness" and even Beyonce's "XO." His name is Dermot Kennedy and it is safe to say he has two new fangirls. Court and I were in awe and had to actually drag ourselves away to make it to the store in time before it closed, but we certainly could have stayed there for an hour listening to him croon.



As it begins to get a bit chillier, the sun still shines and it starts to feel a bit more like fall each and every day. Fall is my favorite season so although I love Ireland, I am missing the apple picking, pumpkin picking and apple cider donuts that come along with it in the northeast! I'm having my fair share of Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks to soften the blow though, don't you worry.

 


I hope all is well back in the States! Until next time--

Love,
Paige xx





No comments:

Post a Comment

Blast from the Past